What is collecting?
Explore the concept of museum collections through these games and activities.
Watch your favorite Phillips Music performance broadcasts of the 80th anniversary season recorded in High Definition Audio and Video.
“Art Created 100 Years Apart, Linked by Trauma, Offers Solace,” Kerry Hannon, The New York Times
“Phillips Collection is turning 100 and showing what future of classic museums can be,” Philip Kennicott, The Washington Post
“The Phillips Collection: 100 Years as a Home for Art,” Ari Post, The Georgetowner
“Lightning Strikes Twice: Another Lost Jacob Lawrence Surfaces,” Hilarie M. Sheets, The New York Times
“Happy Birthday to The Phillips Collection, America’s First Museum of Modern Art,” Susan Stamberg, NPR
“The Pioneering Phillips Collection Turns 100,” by Brenda Cronin, The Wall Street Journal
“Phillips Collection’s diversity efforts get boost from $2 million gift,” by Peggy McGlone, The Washington Post
“For Diversity Leaders in the Arts, Getting Hired Is Just the First Step,” by Robin Pogrebin, The New York Times
“The Phillips’s Exhibition Community in Focus is Cathartic After 2020,” by Jennifer Anne Mitchell, Washington City Paper
“At 100, The Phillips Collection doesn’t seem to have aged,” by Sebastian Smee, The Washington Post
“The Hiring Practice That Stymies Equity in the Museum Workforce,” by Makeba Clay, American Alliance of Museums
“There is a moral facet to caring about the arts.” Dorothy Kosinski in conversation with Jeffrey Gedmin for The American Interest
“This Art Museum Was Founded in Response to a Pandemic Death. It Has Much to Teach Us Now.” by Dorothy Kosinski, Op-Ed in ARTnews
“David Driskell, 1931-2020,” by Kriston Capps, Washington City Paper
“Art is helping seniors piece together snippets of their past.” by Tara Bahrampour, The Washington Post
“The Transformative Power of Inclusive Storytelling in Museums,” by Makeba Clay, American Alliance of Museums
The Artist in Conversation
As part of our centennial celebration, The Phillips Collection conducted in-depth interviews with important voices in art today.
Watch & Listen
Catch up on artist and curator talks
Explore Our Recent Exhibitions
Audio Tour + Artist Talks
Listen to audio stops about works in the permanent collection, as well as recordings of our Conversations with Artists events featuring leading contemporary artists.
Community in Focus
Our Community in Focus project captured the human emotions that connect us all—joy, suffering, resilience, and everything in between.
Dive Deeper into the Phillips
- Home for the Holidays: Sketching and crafting activity
- Crafting Community Stories: Slow-looking and storytelling activity
- Creating Memories and Sharing Dreams: Slow looking and coloring activity
- Jump In!: Slow looking and collage activity
- Exploring a Tabletop: Slow looking and sketching activity
- How to Make a Musical Maraca
- Learn about works in the Phillips’s collection with the Discovery Pack
Explore The Migration Series
- At Home with Jacob Lawrence Activity Kit
- Learn about The Migration Series then create your own #Panel61 or Harlem Renaissance inspired poem
- Storytelling and Perspective with Jacob Lawrence
- Watch plays inspired by panels of The Migration Series
- Listen to the “Into America” podcast about Jacob Lawrence
Color the Phillips
- Download and print these coloring pages by artist Racquel Keller
- Get creative with these activity pages