Health and Safety Protocols
Following DC government, DC Health, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines, The Phillips Collection has developed new cleaning, safety, and operational protocols.
- Reduced Visitor Capacity: Visitor capacity in the galleries, museum shop, and restrooms are controlled and reduced.
- New Circulation Routes: In order to ensure physical distancing, we have created a one-way directional flow through the Goh Annex and Sant Building galleries and stairwells, with option to visit the Phillips House Floor 2 galleries.
- Elevator Capacity: Elevator capacity is restricted to one person or one party.
- Contactless Check-in & Transactions: Plexiglass partitions are installed at all transactional areas. All ticketing is by advance reservation only, and tickets are emailed to guests and are scanned for entry at a safe distance. All transactions are by credit card only.
- Digital Map: Printed materials will not be available, but you may download and print our visitor guide prior to your visit.
- Enhanced Cleaning Procedures: There is regular disinfection of high-touch surfaces, and bathrooms are cleaned frequently throughout the day.
- Hand Sanitizer Stations: We have placed hand sanitizer stations through the museum, and encourage frequent hand-washing with soap and water.
- Staff Health Checks: Phillips Collection staff are required to wear masks at all times and are subject to the same health checks and requirements as visitors.
- Enhanced Ventilation: Our ventilation and climate control systems are circulating outside air using enhanced filtration.
- No food services: Tryst at the Phillips café remains closed, and outside food or drink are prohibited unless for medical reasons. All water fountains are closed.
- No staffed coat and bag check: Self-coat check and a limited amount of stroller parking is available. The Phillips Collection is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
An inherent risk of exposure to covid-19 exists in any public space where people are present. We cannot guarantee that you will not be exposed to covid-19 during your visit to The Phillips Collection. Those visiting the Phillips do so at their own risk of such exposure.
- Stay at home if you are feeling sick. A temperature check is required for all visitors upon entry via contactless thermal cameras; visitors with a reading of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher will be asked to visit on another day. Please do not visit the Museum if you have a fever or any covid-19 symptoms, have tested positive for covid-19 within the past 14 days, or have had close contact with anyone who is confirmed or is suspected of having covid-19.
- Visitors from outside the DC Metropolitan Area: Travelers from states designated by the District of Columbia as having significant covid-19 community transmission are required to quarantine for 14 days upon entering the District and may not visit The Phillips Collection during that quarantine period.
- Face masks are required: All visitors over the age of two are required to wear face masks, unless an individual is unable to wear a face covering due to a medical condition. Masks must cover both your mouth and nose, without gaps between your mask and face.
- Masks with valves: Masks with valves are not allowed; visitors who arrive wearing these coverings will be required to use a mask provided by the Phillips to gain entry.
- Social Distancing: Maintaining a social distancing of at least 6 feet is required. Persons within the same household may remain together, but cannot congregate in groups larger than four individuals.
- Distancing and Capacity Signage: Visitors must observe floor markers and follow all directional and room capacity signage.
- Phillips Collection Staff: Please follow instructions from Phillips Collection staff during your visit.
- Personal & Oversized Item: Please leave any non-essential items at home. Staffed coat and bag check services are suspended, but self-coat check is available. Backpacks and bags larger than 16 x 16 in. are not permitted. Bags in excess of 16 x 16 in. containing medical equipment or diaper bags are allowed but must be carried at a visitor’s side. The Phillips Collection is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
The Phillips Collection's protocols may change as we continue to follow local and national recommendations.