K–12 school groups can arrange for visits guided by trained museum educators filled with hands-on activities and customized to support your class’s objectives through arts integration, or for self-guided visits to explore the galleries at your own pace.
- Museum visits are led by museum education professionals trained in object-based learning, visual arts, and arts integration. Educators develop tours based on the needs of the class and integrate the art with classroom subjects.
- Visits are 1 hour in duration, customized for each group, and are free of charge.
- Please plan to arrive 5 minutes early, and factor in additional time if your group will need a bathroom break prior to the tour.
- Visits must be scheduled at least one month in advance.
- Please note that school groups cannot be greater than 50.
self-Guided museum visits
Self-guided visits may be arranged for Tuesday through Friday at 10 am, 11 am, 1 pm, or 2 pm.
This visit is self-guided, and will not be led by a Phillips educator. Before your self-guided visit, we recommend that you to visit our Prism.K12 website, where you can find information and ideas on arts integration. It may also be helpful to visit the Plan Your Visit page to see a map of the museum. You can see which works are on view in the Collection section of the website.
Guided musem visits
Guided visits may be arranged for Tuesday through Friday at 10:30 am or 11:30 am.
Guided visits are led by museum education professionals trained in object-based learning, visual arts, and arts integration. Visits should be scheduled one month in advance. The visits are customized tours based on classroom subjects integrated with the art in the Phillips's collection. You will be contacted by your educator for any themes or subjects you want to explore in the galleries. Visits consist of close-looking at 3–4 works in the permanent collection.
*If you are a from a school in Ward 7 or 8 and need funding for a bus, please contact Miriam Deaver at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202.387.2152 x216. Bus stipends are available on a first come, first serve basis.