Creates and delivers single-visit museums experiences to school groups, pre-school through high school. These experiences take place both in the museum’s galleries and in the on-site art workshop. Criteria includes:
--Differentiated for multiple learning styles
--Multiple delivery methods utilized including digital (iPods/iPads)
--Grade and age-appropriate
--Related to the Common Core State Standards
- Develops and implements school experiences and classroom workshops for DC outreach programs, such as Art Links to Learning.
- Researches special exhibitions and the permanent collection as they relate to school programs development and implementation and attends meetings, training sessions, and professional development sessions.
- Experiments with diverse teaching techniques.
- Communicate with Phillips staff and classroom teachers to align the needs of K12 audiences with the priorities of the Education Department/Museum.
- Excellent public speaking skills.
- Great facility working with school aged children.
- Understanding of educational technology (iPods, iPads, cell phones, and social media) and the educational impact of using these devices/tools in the galleries.
- Fluent in Microsoft Office suite including word, excel, and power point.
- Knowledgeable about Common Core State Standards.
- Knowledgeable about arts integration strategies and practices.
- Maintains, synthesizes, and applies current knowledge and research on museum education theory and practice.
- Familiarity with appropriate teaching and learning strategies, and ability to teach in the galleries as well as to lead hands-on art workshops.
- Flexibility and a positive attitude.
- Independent and self-sufficient. Able to travel around DC and the surrounding areas independently.
Part-time employees are eligible for the following benefits:
- Paid Holidays*
- 403(b) Retirement Program participation
- Pre-tax Transportation benefits through SmartBenefits
- Complimentary guest admission to museum (subject to availability)
- 20% discount at Museum Shop
- 10% discount at Museum Café
- Invitations to seminars, lectures, and special events
* Part-time hourly staff may receive holiday pay if the holiday falls on a day on which they are scheduled to work.
Compensation rate: Dependent on type of contact hours.