The Phillips Collection's internship program is open to full-time undergraduate students, full-time graduate students, and recent graduates. The purpose of the internship program is to offer students and recent graduates meaningful work, educational experiences, and real-life practice in their fields of academic study and/or interest.
Curatorial interns work with one of the following departments: Curatorial, Director's Office, Registration, Library and Archives, Installations, Conservation, and the Center for Modern Art.
Duration: Eight continuous weeks and at least 16 hours per week is preferred. Internship length and schedule may vary depending on the needs of the department.
Academic Credit: Depending on the nature of the internship and approval of the student's college or university, academic credit may be granted for internships. Student applicants should consult their academic advisor for additional information.
*Application deadline dates are as follows:
Spring Internships: December 1
Summer Internships: April 1
Fall Internships: July 31
*Dates are subject to change.
Please submit a résumé, letter of interest, two letters of recommendation, and complete transcripts.
(include but are not limited to):
- Assisting with day-to-day curatorial and/or museum administration operations.
- Assisting with planning and research for special exhibitions and installations.
- Conducting research.
- Completing data entry.
- Assembling proposals and funding notebooks.
- Organizing curatorial and other departmental files.
- Drafting letters.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- Assisting at evening events such as Phillips after 5 and other community events as needed.
- Background in art history or museum studies preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and computer abilities.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Previous experience in an art museum setting desirable but not required.
Gallery Educators, Volunteers, Interns, and Temporaries are eligible for the following benefits:
- Complimentary guest admission to museum (subject to availability)
- 20% discount at Museum Shop
- 10% discount at Museum Café
- Invitations to seminars, lectures, lectures, and special events