The Phillips Collection's Internship program is open to full-time undergraduate students, full -time graduate students, and recent graduates. The purposes of the internship program is to offer students and recent graduates meaningful work, educational experiences, and real -life practice in their fields of academic study and /or interest.
The Library intern will assist the Cataloging and Technical Services Librarian with completion of a retrospective conversion project of the library's collection as well as other cataloging projects, circulation, collection and database management, and additional tasks as needed.
Duration: Eight continuous weeks and at least 16 to 20 hours per week is preferred. Internship length and schedule may vary depending on the needs of the department.
Academic Credit: Depending on the nature of the internship and approval of the student's college or university, academic credit may be granted for internships. Student applicants should consult their academic advisor for additional information.
*Application deadline dates are as follows:
Spring Internship: December 1
Summer Internship: April 1
Fall Internship: July 31
*Dates are subject to change
(include but are not limited to):
- Assist with digital projects as needed, beginning with installation records.
- Gathering, organizing, and preserving materials related to exhibition history in both print and electronic form.
- Generating a detailed exhibition history document, using existing documents and other records as resources.
- Gathering, organizing and housing ephemera related to museum programs.
- Other activities as needed to possibly include vertical files, serials, AV materials, and library circulation.
- Currently enrolled in or recent graduate of a master's program in library science
- Coursework in archives desirable
- Art history background desirable
- Interest in museums
Gallery Educators, Volunteers, Interns, and Temporaries are eligible for the following benefits:
- Complimentary guest admission to museum (subject to availability)
- 20% discount at Museum Shop
- 10% discount at Museum Café
- Invitations to seminars, lectures, and special events